Photos of the Week: 4/22–4/28
Bats roosting in Israel, continued anti-government protests in Venezuela, Amazon’s glass spheres under construction in Seattle, ANZAC Day in Australia, artwork made on mud-covered vehicles in Russia, and much more.
- A two-week-old pygmy hippopotamus rests in the hippopotamus enclosure in Nyiregyhaza Animal Park in Nyiregyhaza, 227 km east of Budapest, Hungary, on April 25, 2017.
- French photographer and street artist Philippe Echaroux projects a portrait on trees above Barcelona, Spain, on April 24, 2017. #
The face of an owl is drawn on the muddy back of a truck by artist Nikita Golubev in Moscow, Russia, on April 22, 2017. The grimy trucks traversing the polluted and dusty streets of Moscow have inspired Golubev to use them as his canvas to create this ephemeral street art, signing his drawings ‘Pro Boy Nick’. #
- A Tibetan woman in a village near the Yamdrok Lake on April 26, 2017 in Dongla County in the Lhokha Prefecture of Tibet Autonomous Region, China. Yamdrok Lake is one of the four largest sacred lakes in Tibet.
- A woman smokes a cigarette as she looks out from her apartment balcony in Gdynia, Poland, on April 28, 2017. #
- A man views the exhibit "Infinity Mirrored Room – The Souls of a Million Light Years Away" by Japanese artist Yayoi Kusama at the Hirshhorn Museum in Washington, DC, on April 25, 2017.
- Workers and wine growers light heaters early in the morning, to protect vineyards from frost damage outside Chablis, France, on April 28, 2017.
- A riot policeman points his gun at Brazilian Indians during a demonstration against the violation of indigenous people’s rights, in Brasilia, Brazil, on April 25, 2017.
- A member of the Gruppo Storico Romano (Roman Historical Group) dressed as legionary stands at Circus Maximus as they mark the anniversary of the founding of Rome, Italy, on April 23, 2017.
Russian opposition leader Alexei Navalny poses for a photo after unknown attackers doused him with green antiseptic outside a conference venue in Moscow, Russia, on April 27, 2017. Navalny, who authored a documentary about the Russian prime minister’s alleged corrupt wealth that was viewed more than 20 million times online, was the key force behind nationwide anti-government rallies in March, Russia’s largest and most widespread in years. #
- Women walk in an alleyway in the Medina of Chefchaouen, a picturesque town well-known for its blue painted houses and alleyways, in northern Morocco, on April 27, 2017.
- Members of historic clubs wearing historic Nazi German uniforms take part in a staged battle during a reconstruction of the Berlin offensive operation, in Kubinka outside Moscow, Russia, on April 23, 2017.
- Children play on a traditional swing during the religious festival of Moulid, which commemorates the birth of Muslim Prophet Muhammad’s granddaughter Sayyeda Zeinab, outside the mosque and shrine named for her, in Cairo, Egypt, on April 25, 2017.
- A vehicle that belonged to ISIS militants is seen on the outskirts of the ancient city of Hatra near Mosul,Iraq, on April 26, 2017. #
Relatives of Kurdish People’s Protection Units (YPG) fighters visit the site of Turkish airstrikes near northeastern Syrian Kurdish town of Derik, known as al-Malikiyah in Arabic, on April 25, 2017. Turkish warplanes killed more than 20 Kurdish fighters in strikes in Syria and Iraq, where the Kurds are key players in the battle against the Islamic State group. The bombardment near the city of Al-Malikiyah in northeastern Syria saw Turkish planes carry out "dozens of simultaneous air strikes" on YPG positions overnight, including a media centre, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said. #
- Ramu, a pet monkey, jumps as his handler bathes in the waters of the Ganges River on a hot summer day, in Kolkata, India, on April 26, 2017.
- Members of the Mudgeeraba light horse troop take part in the ANZAC dawn service at Currumbin Surf Life Saving Club on April 25, 2017 in Currumbin, Australia. Australians were commemorating 102 years since the Australian and New Zealand Army Corp (ANZAC) landed on the shores of Gallipoli on April 25, 1915, during World War I.
- Tourist take advantage of the rainy weather to visit the Oculus structure at the World Trade Center transportation hub in New York City on April 26, 2017. The Oculus serves as the World Trade Center Transportation Hub, incorporating 78,000 square feet of multi level retail and dining.
- A man crosses an empty freeway in Rio de Janeiro’s port area blocked by demonstrators during a protest against President Michel Temer’s proposal to reform Brazil’s social security system in a general strike in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, on April 28, 2017.
- Women wearing wigs look in mirrors during the opening day of a funeral parlor in Chongqing, China, on April 27, 2017. #
- Policemen try to contain protesters trying to enter Macedonia’s parliament to protest against against what they said was an unfair vote to elect a parliamentary speaker, following months of political deadlock in the Balkan country in Skopje on April 27, 2017.
- A group of migrants who said they were from Djibouti and Somalia follow railway tracks towards the Canada-U.S. border as seen from Emerson, Manitoba, Canada, on March 27, 2017.
Sgt. Daniel Fitzpatrick of the Belfast Police Department in Belfast, Maine drives around with two lost goats in his police car on April 23, 2017, looking for their owner. The goats were walking on a road in town and then entered a woman’s garage before Fitzpatrick picked them up. The owner’s daughter saw a police Facebook post about the lost goats and came down to the station to retrieve them. #
- Medical students from Chulalongkorn University take part in a religious ceremony to pay respects to cadavers used during their medical studies before the bodies are removed from Chulalongkorn Hospital in Bangkok, Thailand, on April 26, 2017.
- Kim Giroux helps herd a gaggle of geese down a sidewalk past heavy traffic across the Ross Island Bridge in Portland, Oregon, on April 25, 2017. All made it safely across.
- A military drill marking the 85th anniversary of the establishment of the Korean People’s Army (KPA) is seen in this handout photo by North Korea’s Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) made available on April 26, 2017.
- A journalist fires an RPG, with Laser Simulation equipment (LASSIM), during Swiss defence equipment provider RUAG media day at the Swiss army base in Bure, Switzerland, on April 26, 2017.
A man stands on a plaza on the Amazon.com campus as construction continues on three large, glass-covered domes behind him, on April 27, 2017, in downtown Seattle. The tallest of the three interconnected structures, called Amazon Spheres by the company, will be 90 feet high and 130 feet in diameter, and is planned to include a botanic garden of waterfalls and treehouse-like spaces overlooking tropical gardens. The structures are expected to begin being used by employees in early 2018. #
- A Nepalese activist stands wrapped in a plastic sheet with a rope tied around her neck as a mark of protest against air pollution on Earth Day in Kathmandu, Nepal, on April 22, 2017. Kathmandu is considered one of the most polluted cities in the world.
- A schoolgirl covers her nose and mouth to avoid breathing tear gas shot by police at opponents of Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro marching in Caracas on April 26, 2017.
- Bats roosting in the Old City in Caesarea, Israel, on April 26, 2017. #
- Racka sheep are seen during celebrations for the start of the new grazing season in the Great Hungarian Plain in Hortobagy, Hungary, on April 22, 2017.
- A model, painted by the artist Avi Ram from Airbrush Hero, poses for a photo as part of a calendar project, at the Tower of David in Jerusalem’s Old City, on April 27, 2017.